Thought for the day:

Thought for the day: Live an intentional life! You either live by design or default! You may as well design a life you desire!



Monday, April 11, 2011

Emotional Rollercoaster

My first ride on a rollercoaster did not happen until I was in my Junior year of high school.  Until that point, I avoided rollercoasters like the plague.  There was just something in me that did not trust them because they seemed to unnaturally defy the laws of physics and logic.  That particular summer, however, I attended a program at Clemson University and we took an excursion to Six Flags.  Not wanting to seem like odd man out, I took my first rollercoaster ride.  It was an inverted coaster with lots of twists and turns.  Afterwards, I remember thinking, "Hmmm. I enjoyed that, I think."  The next coaster was a traditional coaster with highs and lows. When that ride ended, I began thinking, "Not for me, not so much."  I didn't ride a coaster again for several years and still do not ride them often.  Lately, I have been thinking about "emotional rollercoaster" situations in life.  Like the coasters in the natural some have many twists, turns and loops.  While others are just a lot of up and down. And true to form, I have found that I enjoy the former but, the latter not so much.  For me, I look at the twist and turns as change, possibility, mystery and all of the exhilaration that goes with it.  The ups and downs, are just that... situations or relationships that have extreme highs and low lows.  The kind that make my stomach leap to my throat and have me holding on for dear life.  I realize that just as I have the ability to choose the type of ride, if any, at an amusement park, I have the ability to design the contours of the rollercoasters of life.... or just choose not to take the ride at all.   My actions, my decisions shape my outlook and my outcome....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections Please!